The Ambridge Area School District follows the Nutrition Standard Guidelines that the Department of Education has put in place for the National School Lunch Program as well as for Competitive Foods in Pennsylvania Schools. With guidelines implemented in the 2006/2007 school year, there have been many changes and more to come as the guidelines continue to be updated.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education is required to do an administrative review of menus and production records in schools, to see if the guidelines are being followed. The review for the Ambridge Area School District was completed in December, 2008, and we passed with high praise.
In review of the menu in greater detail, here are a few examples of the types of foods being served:
- Pizza –Whole Grain Crusts
- Plenty of Fruits and Vegetables offered daily, including fresh
- Bread and Buns – Wheat and Grain bread and buns are offered daily
- Cereal – General Mills Whole Grain Cereals are used
- Snacks –All of our snacks meet the nutrient standards for healthy snacks.
- Beverages – Water, Milk and 100% Juice are available daily
- No deep fried foods, ever!
If you have questions about food services, please call Janet Gaffney, Food Service Director, at (724) 266-2833, ext. 2395