Registration Procedures for New or Returning Students
Welcome to the Ambridge Area School District. All new students in grades K-12 are required to complete the registration process at the Central Administration Office before attendance in the District can begin. Additional kindergarten registration dates are held each spring.
Who determines the requirements for enrollment?
Requirements to register for enrollment in any Pennsylvania school district are determined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and not the individual school district of application. Proof of residency is among the required documents, as funding and taxation are directly tied to school residency in the Commonwealth. Ambridge Area School District is required to adhere to all aspects of the registration process.
Can my child attend the Ambridge Area School District?
Children who reside in Ambridge Borough, Baden Borough, Economy Borough, Harmony Township and South Heights are eligible to attend the Ambridge Area School District. Children are eligible for registration for kindergarten if they have attained the age of 5 years on or before September 1 of the school year. New residents or returning students can apply for registration throughout the year.
How do I begin the registration process?
To begin the registration process, please visit the AASD website’s registration information page, which includes instructions and forms required to register children in the District. Enrollment is available by appointment only. Information on how to schedule an appointment is included in this FAQ.
What documents are required for the enrollment process?
We understand that everyone is busy; however, to save time during the enrollment process, please have the following documents available at the time of your enrollment appointment:
- Birth Certificate
- Two proofs of residency which can be: driver’s license, utility bill, deed or mortgage, rental or lease, tax bill, or insurance bill.
- Immunization records that include dates from your child’s doctor’s office or former school, or an international healthy certificate.
- Discipline records from the most previous school of attendance is required for students enrolling at the High School level.
Which immunizations are required for attendance?
The Pennsylvania Department of Health requires each child entering school for the first time to have the following immunizations before school begins:
- Four (4) doses of tetanus (usually given as DTP or DTaP or DT or Td) (1dose on or after the 4th birthday);
- Four (4) doses of diphtheria (usually given as DTP or DTaP or DT or Td) (1 dose on or after the 4th birthday);
- Three (3) doses of polio;
- Two (2) doses of measles (Usually given as MMR);
- Two (2) doses of mumps (Usually given as MMR);
- One (1) dose of rubella (German Measles) (Usually given as MMR);
- Three (3) doses of hepatitis B; and
- Two (2) doses of varicella (chickenpox) vaccine or history of disease.
Additional immunization requirements, by age, are available through the Pennsylvania Department of Health or from your child’s pediatrician. The immunization requirements are a condition of attendance at any public, private, or parochial school in Pennsylvania. Parents will be expected to produce evidence of the immunizations or their child will be denied entrance to school until the requirements are met.
What additional documentation may be useful at the time of registration?
While these documents are not required as a condition of enrollment, the District requests that all new or returning students also provide copies of the following:
- Student records from the child’s previous school
- Health/Physical exam records; and
- Academic, attendance and special education records (such as IEPs and 504s).
What happens if I don’t have the required documents at the time of registration?
Failure to provide the required documentation at the time of registration will delay the registration process. The District is not permitted to complete the registration process and allow the child(ren) to begin attending classes until registration is complete.
How soon can my child begin attending classes following registration?
There is typically a 3-to-5 day waiting period from the time enrollment is completed and registration of the student(s) is finalized. Children will be unable to attend until the registration process is completed. The District will notify the parent/legal guardian of the child’s start date, transportation assignment and schedule once the process is finalized.
What are the hours for the enrollment office?