KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION FACT SHEET
School District: Ambridge Area School District
Contact Person for Kindergarten Registration: Cathy Hopkins
District Website: www.ambridge.k12.pa.us
Please call Cathy Hopkins to schedule an appointment
Age Requirement: A child is eligible for admission to kindergarten if she/he has attained the age of five (5) years on/or before September 1st of the school year.
Documents that are REQUIRED to be presented the day of registration:
§2 Proofs of residence
§Child’s birth certificate
The Pennsylvania State Health Law requires each child entering school for the first time to have the following immunizations before school begins:
- 4 doses of tetanus (usually given as DTP or DTaP or DT or Td) (1dose on or after the 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of diphtheria (usually given as DTP or DTaP or DT or Td) (1 dose on or after the 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of polio (4th dose on or after 4th birthday and at least 6 months after previous dose given)
- 2 doses of measles (Usually given as MMR)
- 2 doses of mumps (Usually given as MMR)
- 1 dose of rubella (German Measles) (Usually given as MMR)
- 3 doses of hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) vaccine or history of disease
The immunization requirements are a condition of attendance at any public, private, or parochial school in Pennsylvania. Parents will be expected to produce evidence of the immunizations or their child will be denied entrance to school until the requirements are met.
What to expect when you and your child go to Kindergarten Registration: Parents bring their child to registration and the secretary will check required documents. The nurse checks over immunization record with parent. The child is separated from parent and given the screening tests. They consist of vision screening, hearing screening, visual matching, writing skills (hand dominance), cutting skills, counting skills, numeral recognition, shape recognition, identifying upper and lower case letters, and verbal skills (can the child say their full name, address, phone number)
Orientation activities from the district include: Parents will be notified of the date of orientation. Parents and children go to the Kindergarten classroom and are introduced to the teacher. After ½ hour, the children ride the bus route that they will be taking while the Kindergarten teacher discusses the Kindergarten curriculum with the parents. When the children get back refreshments are served.
PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR KINDERGARTEN ACTIVITIES THIS SUMMER!